Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A summer's journey

Even though we get to have an unusually long summer vacation, which started at the end of April, the summer has flown by. My parents came to visit for 2 weeks, and are already here and gone. I've been refinishing the cabinets, in what I thought was a fast pace for a bit, but it came to a screeching halt, and isn't even half done yet. It really is amazing how much time can be lost in the blink of an eye.

Part of my time has been spent at doctor visits, or planning doctor visits. I finally saw an OBGYN, who has me lined up for tons of tests. The bloodwork was no biggy, but an ultrasound to rule out any problems I might have, has a 2-3 month waiting list. So, I'll try to get a referral to get that done in the US. I'm already going to see a neurologist down there, so what's one more appointment. lol Thank goodness my cycle's might be cooperating, so that I can actually get the ultrasound done.

I had high hopes for the summer. We were going to do some exploring around the province, I was going to get at least the kitchen reno done, and I was going to finish a couple books that I have been reading to get ready for the upcoming school year. So far, none of that has been accomplished. I'm only half way through one of the instructional books on Calculus, and only on the first selection to translate for Latin...that, and I don't think we've even left the Halifax area all summer. Why is that? Well, there are tons of reasons, read excuses, but no good ones. It's so easy to come up with other things that need doing. Friday we have planned to go see the Tall Ships though, which will be nice. I think we are both planners, because if we don't plan to do something, we won't do it. It doesn't have to be elaborately planned of we'll be here at 9, do this at 9:30...but more of we'll do this on Tuesday. Then we'll wing it once we are on the road, and enjoy ourselves.We have been planning to visit a friend of Joe's in Antigonish...and haven't even gotten there yet.

Sometimes our best laid plans can get overshadowed by such mundain things. I'm reading Prayer Primer, and do you think I've been putting it into practice yet? No, of course not. Same problem. I seem to always run out of time in the day. I think that my prayer life needs the same devotion as anything else, of planning when to do it. If it gets a dedicated time, it becomes an integral part of my day. Once that gets set in place, then it can be extended, modified, and grow. What would I like from my prayer life? I hope to be able to follow the example of St. Theresa of Avila. She is a huge inspiration to me, and is my confirmation Saint. Can I live up to her example, no, probably not. I don't have that kind of ego to think that I can be as devote as she. Will I give it my best try, you bet. For me, going to church on Sunday is not the end all and be all to my religious life. There are other parts to it. Prayer is one, my relationship with God is a big one, my relationship to those around me is another, and of course my relationship with my husband. It's just a matter of me kicking myself in the behind, and starting to get myself going.

No comments: